[gst-devel] GStreamer 0.10 for PACKAGERS

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Dec 2 05:15:03 CET 2005

Hello,

if you are not a packager, feel free to ignore this mail.

Packagers, 0.10 is around the corner.  Now is the best time to try your
skills on the new code base.  If in packaging these modules there is any
problem, report them to me ASAP so they can be looked at.

The Fedora Core 4 packages from our website are up-to-date, so they can
be used as examples if you wish to deal with certain issues.

For an explanation of the module split-up (we are releasing 7 modules),
see http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/splitup.html

In short, we recommend:
- that you ship at least gstreamer, gst-plugins-base, gst-plugins-good,
and gst-python
- if you are a repository/packager that operates in a country outside of
patent restrictions, you can also ship gst-plugins-ugly and gst-ffmpeg
- if you want to include experimental code and the latest developments,
you can consider shipping parts of gst-plugins-bad
- it is advisable to ship with at least GLib 2.8.3 for threadsafety
issues - previous versions do not handle threadsafe refcounting/signal
emission/property changes
- GStreamer 0.8 and 0.10 are parallel-installable, so you should make
sure package names for them are separate.  The only thing that needs to
be done is to make the package for gstreamer-tools (containing
unversioned gst- binaries) be built by both versions, and have the
0.10.x version upgrade the 0.8.x one.  The functionality in both is the
same, so that's fine.  Your users will appreciate not being forced to
remove all other applications that already work :)

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks and good luck,
Thomas

And I'm not the drowning man you think