[gst-devel] GStreamer 0.10 for USERS

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Dec 2 05:26:01 CET 2005

Dear users,

first of all - we love you.  You might not believe so, but it's true.

Second, some bad news.

While GStreamer 0.10 is a huge improvement as a foundation, there is
still work to be done.  Lots of plugins need porting and fixing.  Lots
of applications need porting and fixing.  And this will all take time.

Third, some good news.

Some applications are already ported and waiting for you to give them a
try.  Totem has a branch in CVS that works with 0.10.  Jamboree and
Rhythmbox have patches.  Flumotion in SVN works against 0.10 and will be
released soon.  We are hoping to start attacking the GNOME code soon and
port it to use 0.10.

Also, with a stable core, we expect plugin porting activity to increase,
and documentation to be updated.

It is probably no secret either that some company might soon release
some additional goods, some of it free software, and some of it in
exchange for cold hard cash.

Fourth, what can you do to help ?

- Ask your favourite application to be ported to this new threadsafe
code branch
- Ask your distribution packagers to include GStreamer 0.10 in their
repositories
- Try out what's already there and give us feedback
- Send us lots of cash or services rendered

Thanks
Thomas

I love the way you love
but I hate the way