[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] skaboy gst-media-test: gst-media-test/

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 04:47:06 CET 2005

On 12/8/05, Luca Ognibene <luogni at tin.it> wrote:
> Il giorno gio, 08/12/2005 alle 13.15 +0100, Edward Hervey ha scritto:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 12/8/05, Luca Ognibene <skaboy at freedesktop.org> wrote:
> > > CVS Root:       /cvs/gstreamer
> > > Module:         gst-media-test
> > > Changes by:     skaboy
> > > Date:           Thu Dec 08 2005  04:06:24 PST
> > >
> > > Log message:
> > > * gsttester.py:
> > > * playtest.py:
> > > * typefindtest.py:
> > >   Long live 0.10!
> > > * typefindtest.py:
> > >   Don't try to link pad with EMPTY caps. fix
> > >   the test-suite on files like exile1.ogm.
> >
> >   This is not the way to go :) Creating a pad with empty caps is a BUG
> > !
> I know but the media-test-suite shouldn't segfault even if there is a
> bug in some elements. W/o the patch the m-t-s reports a timeout error (
> because typefindtest.py segfaults), with the patch it tells that it
> can't decode all pads. It seems a better error :)

  The fact that it timeouts or segfaults IS an error. The testsuite
*should* report that. Also, all tests are run with
--gst-fatal-warnings, so we fix those fatal warnings (which means
something REALLY wrong) OR, if the warning isn't fatal (like in
id3demux with tags which aren't UTF8), transform the g_warning into a
GST_ERROR() or GST_WARNING().
  Also, regarding showing a *better* error, it's also avoiding the
first error, which is an EMPTY caps pad... which I'd really like to
fix at the source (and not in playbin or the testsuite).

  The testsuite is meant to be very *sensitive* to errors, warnings,
etc... Being able to playback a file with plenty of warnings spurting
out on stdout/stderr means something is obviously going wrong.
  Agreed, there are cases where the file is completely b0rked, but we
must try our best to figure out if we can't fix the plugins so they
handle them gracefully (ex: ignoring a non-fatal issue OR posting a
GST_MESSAGE_ERROR).

  Edward

> > I'll try to improve the playtest this afternoon though (adding
> > seeking tests) and figure out what's going wrong with ogmparse
> > creating an EMPTY caps pad.
> cool!
>
> ciao
> Luca