[gst-devel] Re: Using gstreamer to encode separate frames into video

Peter Williams peter at newton.cx
Fri Dec 16 01:21:04 CET 2005

[Sorry to break threads, not subscribed to the list]

Andy Wingo wrote:
> You could construct a pipeline without a source, e.g. theoraenc !
>  oggmux ! filesink. Then get the sink pad of theoraenc, and directly push
>  buffers to it (using gst.Pad.push()).
>
>  You'll have to make sure that the caps on the buffer are set correctly.
>
>  That's probably the easiest way to do it if your "source" isn't amenable
>  to being converted into a custom video source element.

Hm, that's a good idea. But before I saw this, I decided to give myself
a crash course in gstreamer and pygtk and wrote a plugin with a Python
binding. I can put it online somewhere if there's interest (although the
plugin is targeted at 0.8).

One followup question: I'd like to share the resulting videos with
people who aren't going to be customizing their multimedia setups.
What's the best choice of codec and stream format to make a video that
can be viewed as widely as possible? Right now I want to do
'ffenc_mpeg1video ! ffmux_mpeg ! filesink', but the MPEG muxer is giving
me 'buffer underflow' errors. The output of 'ffenc_mpeg1video !
filesink' actually work in Xine, but not Totem, and I assume that I need
some kind of stream encoding there.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Williams / peter at newton.cx