[gst-devel] Proposal for XML Description File for Plugins

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Tue Feb 8 15:50:47 CET 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 05:25:31PM -0600, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> So you're saying that in order to build the status tables, the entire
> source tree should be built, every plugin run, and output evaluated?

Yes.  Cache this information in an XML file if you wish, because
most people won't be able to instantiate sunaudiosink.  But the
authoritative source for some information will always be in
the source code.

> Why is the information located in the GstElementDetails struct
> necessary for runtime, other than to query it?

Except for ->klass, it's not.  I was thinking more of plugin
descriptions.

> Putting it all in one file
> implies that every developer that writes a plugin would need to update
> that single file, and be trusted not to break it.

Please don't overthink this problem.

> I'm still failing to see why extracting the information from the
> binaries is a better solution.

Did you miss the part where I said that it's not possible to do
it any other way?  (Well, other than manually.)

dave...