[gst-devel] Proposal for XML Description File for Plugins

Darren Blaser darrenb at extendedsystems.com
Tue Feb 8 16:52:12 CET 2005

Pardon me for butting in here, as I've never written a single line of
gstreamer code so feel free to totally blow me off if you like... And I
won't even feel bad about it, really! ;-) But it seems to me like folks
might be talking right past each other since they are thinking of
different data sets. It seems to me that the first step might be to get
a general agreement on exactly what data items we are talking about,
then once that's agreed upon it's much easier to consider parsing
mechanisms and the like to extract such data from either source or from
a binary object. The other approach (which is more where Jeff seems to
be coming from?) is to start with a small data set and get the process
working for that and then add new data as needed. Never having much
experience with the code myself I really couldn't say if its better to
define the data set first or the parsing process and use first but I'd
lean toward defining the data set first as long as it's not huge or
difficult to define.

Perhaps Jeff could take his best shot at a definitive list and be sure
to include input from those in the know here on the list who make
suggestions...