[gst-devel] Text rendering

Zeeshan Ali zeenix at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 06:14:25 CET 2005

Hello everyone,
    It's quite hard to believe that what sounded like a trivial hack
to aasink to me has become such a complex issue :) I've been thinking
upon the ideas from both the developers since the last two days and
here are my concerns:

1. Kindly throw some light on your proposal(s) from the point of view
of what I am interested in: video2text. :)

2. Having the text-renderer output the pre-rendered images for each
char. and video-mixer actualy blitting them, would'nt we have no
choice but to do a malloc/free for each char? If that is true, then
kindly forget it as I was doing such a thing (mistakenly) and it
turned out to be a performance hell.

   I suppose you people are not proposing this but what makes me
doubtfull is the assertion of Gergely that blitting should be done
inside the mixer and not the renderer.

3. While we define the x-gst-subtitles protocol, we should again keep
video2text in mind at all times.

4. As I suppose we agree on using cairo for all these stuff, so is
there way you can scale/select a font size in terms of pixels? I am
possitive there must be. I failed to understand the concerns of
Gergely on the font sizes, so I'll request him to explain it a bit in
his next email.

  Thanks for listening. Bye.