[gst-devel] GStreamer and libcdio?

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Tue Jan 4 03:32:26 CET 2005

Hi,

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 11:38, R. Bernstein wrote:
> Ah. Okay now we're getting to the crux of the situtation. Why might
> one use libcdio/vcdimager in gstreamer plugins?
[..]

What I find surprising is that on the one hand, you insist on not
duplicating code between projects, but on the other hand, you knowingly
fork cdparanoia for the, say, 20th time or so, whereas you could also
link to it and propose to take over maintainership. Anyway,
distribution-provided packages of cdparanoia work fine for us, and the
cdparanoia plugin (with those packages) works fine for us. That's all we
care about.

If you want to show us how much better libcdio or libvcdinfo is in
reading data and providing info, write a GStreamer plugin, submit it for
inclusion and we'll see how well it performs. If it's good, we might
prefer it over the currently-used plugins. Writing great words about how
great something performs is nice, but we're usually better convinced by
working code, especially the techies among us (of which I'm presumably
one).

Oh, something else about code duplication, FYI: the whole purpose of
Aldegonde is to be copied everywhere. I've licensed it as freely as I
care (LGPL; I could even consider BSD at some point). I want projects to
use this code and add GStreamer-support to their apps without any
additional crap. I don't want people to link to libaldegonde which links
to libbladiebla which [......] links to GStreamer, because I don't want
to maintain libaldegonde and I don't see how it adds anything. I just
want people to have GStreamer support in their application and have it
work. If you don't see this, you misunderstand the purpose of Aldegonde.
It's not a project, or at best a pet project. It's primarily a testbed
and example code. It's basically practical documentation with a UI.

> Interesting. I don't see this in CVS right now. How well does vcdsrc
> handle playing MPEGs in the ISO 9660 track? It handles still frames,
> numbered menu selections, and multi-default selections, right?

gst-plugins/sys/vcd/.

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>