[gst-devel] GStreamer licensing advisory

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller uraeus at linuxrising.org
Wed Jan 5 10:26:12 CET 2005

Hi everyone,
After getting some mails from Richard Stallman over the last few days I
decided to kick myself into gear on putting together the GStreamer
licensing policy/advisory document which I have been planing to do for
over a year.

A draft is available here:
http://www.linuxrising.org/files/licensing.html

I would like to get some feedback from the community on this document,
ie. do you agree with the views/thoughts expressed in it and are there
any questions you feel are left unanswered.

I have several mails from the FSF (which we paid to get answered) which
explains some legal questions people probably have around
licensing/patents etc. And which also forms the basis of the
conclusions/advise in the document above. I will try and clean those
mails up and into a legal FAQ we can also put onto the GStreamer
website.

When the GStreamer community is happy with the state of these documents
I send the document to the GNOME and KDE multimedia lists for further
review (and maybe debian legal) before putting it up on our site.

Christian