[gst-devel] gst-template code as BSD

Mark Dezelon markdezelonti at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 14:51:09 CET 2005

> I am of course no lawyer, but I guess the template code is so small,
> that it shouldn't be an issue to relicense as BSD, Public Domain or
> "Do whatever you want with it".

You probably would rather have BSD than public domain; otherwise people
can slap their names on the code and pretend they wrote it.

> I'm not sure if this is easily possible without asking all GStreamer
> committers though.

I am also no lawyer, and therefore the following shouldn't be taken as
legal advice.

That said, as I understand copyright law (and I probably don't), anyone
can place their own code under any license they wish regardingless of
prior licenses.  However, unless a submitter has transferred her code
copyright to the project maintainers, the maintainers can't change a
submitter's license without her approval.  There are some submitters
out there who won't submit updates to a non-GPL project.  Simply
providing code for a project does not automatically pass the copyright.

Changing a license would include getting approval from every submitter
(a la what Mozilla did a long time ago), and then re-implementing
patches that don't have submitter approval.

Isn't legaleez fun!

-- Mark Dezelon