[gst-devel] Wrapping Windows Codecs

phillello at users.sourceforge.net phillello at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jul 4 10:57:28 CEST 2005

Hi All,

I'm new to the world of Gstreamer, so please bear with me if this has
already been covered, or if I'm just plain wrong.

I believe support for Windows codecs is only done by re-writing for
Gstreamer or reverse-engineering.

It seems to me that it would be useful to also have an interface for
wrapping Windows (or, indeed, any other platform's) codecs to take advantage
of any hardware acceleration in the system.

Is anyone looking at doing this, or are there good reasons not to? Apart
from the obvious issues with non-portability?

Phil