[gst-devel] where is library gst.h?

Zaheer Abbas Merali zaheerabbas at merali.org
Sat Jul 9 09:13:25 CEST 2005

This will not get fixed, because gentoo unlike all other distributions
has a decent package system.  Let me explain:

To install gstreamer, one just needs to emerge gstreamer not gstreamer08
or gstreamer06 or whatever.  Portage allows parallely installable
versions of the same packe to install using slots. e.g. slot 0.6 of
package gstreamer can be installed alongside slot 0.8.  Portage has a
colission protection system that does not allow one package's files to
overwrite another's.  So gstreamer 0.8.8 may have gst-inspect and
gstreamer 0.10.0 may have gst-inspect, with both possible to be
installed, the symlink would collide.

Zaheer