[gst-devel] How to make gstreamer read data from standard input

Gijsbert de Haan gijsbert_de_haan at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 20 01:14:06 CEST 2005

Hi,

How do I setup a gstreamer pipeline that can read from standard input?

I tried to use the fdsrc fd=0 but is just sits there and no image data
comes out.

I tried the following:

gst-launch-0.8 filesrc location=bjork.mov ! decodebin ! ffcolorspace !
xvimagesink

to see if my input file bjork.mov was working (some apple quicktime
movie file) and this works, it maps a window and the video plays.

When I try this:

cat bjork.mov | gst-launch-0.8 fdsrc fd=0 ! decodebin ! ffcolorspace !
xvimagesink

I get a black window but nothing happens.

I'm running fedora core 2 with the these rpms:

gstreamer-tools-0.8.8-0.fdr.1.2
gstreamer-0.8.8-0.fdr.1.2
gstreamer-python-0.8.1-0.fdr.2.2
gstreamer-plugins-0.8.8-0.fdr.1.3