[gst-devel] gst-ffmpeg prerelease

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri Jun 3 03:13:17 CEST 2005

Hi,

there's 0.8.4.2 prereleases for gst-ffmpeg. The main new feature is an
updated gst-ffmpeg snapshot, adding lots of new and faster code. Since
this is all new, it needs new testing, too. Particularly, I'd like some
reports to confirm that it works on non-x86 and non-linux platforms or
os'es (0.8.4 had been tested quite widely, including optimizations).

Other changes include:
* some major decoding speed-ups (by writing directly in the X output
buffers if possible, and not copying/converting when not needed) -
especially noticeable in combination with gst-plugins 0.8.9. Some yet
unquoted sources spread rumours that we currently beat mplayer when it
comes to decoding speed of, say, a divx file (obviously, this will only
work on commandline/gst-launch; totem adds quite some overhead for its
UI for some reason, which needs more work).
* added keyframe syncing (wait-for-keyframe-after-seek)
* ALAC support
* re-enabled support for muxing with metadata support, currently allows
MPEG and MP4 muxing, others can be easily added
* deinterlacer and scaler wrappers added
* gcc4 compatibility
* ... see ChangeLog for full details
Indeed, that's a long list. Thanks particularly to Luca (skaboy), who
did a lot of work on gst-ffmpeg lately.

Please test and report bugs to me or on bugzilla. Tarballs available
from http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/src/gst-ffmpeg/pre/.

Cheers,
Ronald

--