[gst-devel] DVD autoplugging and Python

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Jun 6 11:08:08 CEST 2005

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Martin Soto wrote:

> Some days ago, I saw the Python examples Benjamin sent to the list and
> started wondering if it is possible to implement this sort of
> autoplugging completely in Python. Given the current structure, I would
> have to detect when the dvddemux audio pad renegotiates caps, and plug a
> different set of elements to handle them (since only a few formats are
> possible, it is not that hard to decide even). It would also consider
> changing the dvddemux if necessary. I have a forked version in Seamless,
> and hacking it a bit is no problem since it has to be rethough for 0.9
> anyway.
>
> Question is now, do the experts (Benjamin, Johan, ...) think this is
> possible in Python? What would be the effect on performance? I'd really
> appreciate your thoughts.

Right, if you use proxy identities there should be no problem getting that
autoplugger working, especially if you hardwire its supported types.

And yes, such an autoplugger should be doable with gst-python, if you
don't gst.element_register it but instantiate it manually. If Seamless is
not a Python app though, you'll run into issues.
In fact autopluggers and other such elements, that just do setup and no
real processing are the intended audience for my gst-python hacking.

Benjamin