Fwd: [gst-devel] Re: dparams roadmap (AKA dparams are dead, long live control pads)

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 05:54:31 CET 2005

Hi,

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:16:23 +1300 (NZDT), Steve Baker
<steve at stevebaker.org> wrote:
> This looks like a good start. I've got a couple of questions though.
>
> Where will this all live WRT core, plugins and libraries? One scenario I
> see is:
> - header and base implementation of GstEnvelope lives in core
> - The GstElement struct has an envelope pointer (which will be null until
> the application assigns an envelope)

  I agree this is the best way to do it. We'll be making a sample
implementation with stefan before to see if it suits everybody.

> Some might complain about the extra bloat this would add to core - if
> anyone objects they should do so now...
>
> There should be some other interpolate methods:
> - trigger (already mentioned by Stefan, should also handle string values)
> - square (to handle logarithmic values)
> - inverse square
> - sine
> These last three are implemented by Parameter Curves in DirectX Media Objects
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dmo/htm/parametercurves.asp

  Agreed those are interesting interpolation methods, but we first
need to get the basic interpolations working (Trigger, linear, square
(what I called quadratic), cubic). All those interpolations only need
TimedValues (no extra parameters per point).

> There might be some other ideas in Parameter Curves worth incorporating.
> Maybe the best idea is to make the interpolate mode per GstTimedValue
>  instead of per GstEnvelopedProperty. This gives a lot more flexibility in
> how the curves are defined:
> typedef struct _GstTimedValue
> {
>   GstClockTime time;
>   GValue *value;
>   GstInterpolateMode interpolation;        // Interpolation mode
> } GstTimedValue;

  This seems to be an overkill way of doing things. Most people will
be using the same interpolation method all the time.
  Also changing interpolation method for a property would mean having
to change the interpolation variable for all timedvalues.
  And how would you decide how to do the interpolation between two
points that have different interpolation methods. For example: Point A
(linear interpolation) and point B (cubic interpolation) ?

> So is it possible to extend the behaviour of GstEnvelope? If so would it
> be by subclassing GstEnvelope or by adding hooks to add more interpolation
> modes? Either way using an enumeration for the interpolation modes might
> not be flexible enough. Also some fancy interpolation modes might need
> some extra data per GstTimedValue to fully define behaviour.
>
> An example is an LFO sine "interpolator" where the *value is the
> center-value of the sine wave and the frequency and amplitude are defined
> seperately and attached somehow to the GstTimedValue. The alternative
> would be to punt this complexity to the application, so they have to build
> the sine curves out of GstEnvelope primitives.

  One way I see of doing this would be to:
  * make GstEnvelopedProperty handle the list of TimedValues,
  * have the interpolation methods mentionned above as structures of
function pointers (hooks) that are automatically selected when
changing the interpolation method. The content of that structure is
public.
  * Add an extra function for selecting interpolation where the user
can specify a function pointers structure of his choice (and that
automatically sets the interpolation to GST_INTERPOLATE_USER).
  * Allow the user to create "derivates" of the GstTimedValue (à la
GObject). Ex : typedef struct {GstTimedValue value; gboolean
extra_flag} GstTimedValueMyInterpolation;

> And some other minor api comments:
> - GSList *values; should probably be GList so backwards traversal is easy

  Agreed.

> - There needs to be functions to remove a GstTimedValue and remove all
> GstTimedValues in a given time range

  Agreed.

> - does gst_envelope_get_all return a copy or the original? is the app
> allowed to manipulate the list or is it read-only?

  Good point. For the time being I made it return the original (const
GSList *) , but I guess it would be safer to make it return a copy.