[gst-devel] GStreamer 0.9.x haxoring

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller uraeus at linuxrising.org
Thu May 5 02:23:19 CEST 2005

Hi everyone,
Thought I should try to help kickstart some wider 0.9.x action. As you
might know/not know 0.9.0 is now at a point where its ready for a wider
audience to start porting plugins and testing stuff. Wim will be sending
out a mail later today with a todo and some suggested starting points
and porting hints.

We currently have 3 modules. gstreamer cvs head which is what its always
been, the home of core of gstreamer. then we have gst-plugins-base which
contain the baseline plugins we selected to be the minimum required to
be able to verify that 'stuff' works, this includes currently alsasink,
x/xvimagesink, ogg vorbis and ogg theora demuxer (and muxer commited
soon), add and probably a couple I forget. This is also the new home of
the tools and helper libs.

The plan is to set up multiple plugins cvs modules for 0.9 and Thomas
plans on working on that. But to not hinder anyone from working I went
over CVS head of gst-plugins today and commented out or deleted every
plugin which is not ported yet so that it can build. Currently only two
plugins are active in that package, oss and effectv, as Wim have ports
of these ready, so as soon as he commits those the package should in
theory build. I also added a PORTED_09 file with some comments and
information.

My idea is that as you start porting you re-enable the plugins in
gst-plugins. When Thomas gets around to it he will then move the ported
plugins into their new permanent homes as the new cvs modules gets
created.

Christian