[gst-devel] Synchronization & frame trashing ...

Gergely Nagy algernon at bonehunter.rulez.org
Fri May 20 03:41:14 CEST 2005

> > Hi !
> >
> >    I wanted to know what happens when trying to play a file with a
> > CPU-consumer format on an old computer which can't decode in realtime
> >
> >    Is the file played slowly, or are some frames dropped sometimes to
> > try to keep realtime ? And if frames are dropped, who decides to drop
> > frames in GStreamer ?

I believe it will play slow (unless you have a huge queue, but that
needs huge amounts of RAM, which the old computer probably doesn't
have), unless you specially set up your pipeline to drop frames.

With some clever coding, you might be able to come up with something
that can automatically decide when to drop frames, or to drop at all.

Cheers,
--
Gergely Nagy