[gst-devel] cdparanoia vs. cdio/cddasrc - which one should go into gst-plugins-base?

Michael Smith msmith at fluendo.com
Wed Nov 2 02:59:36 CET 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 17:07 +0000, Tim Müller wrote:

>  * libcdparanoia [0] is well-tested, widely ported and does a great job
> at ripping audio data, there is no question about that. It is also,
> however, unmaintained (at least as far as I know). The last official
> release was years ago, so it's close to impossible to get things fixed
> upstream at the moment. And there are some things that we need to get
> fixed in libcdparanoia that affect GStreamer applications [1].

As far as I know, Peter Jones is still maintaining cdparanoia (and is
planning significant new work on it in the not-so-distant future).
Obviously you're correct that there haven't been any recent releases,
but that's certainly fixable if there are upstream fixes that need
releasing.

I can't find any evidence of people recently _attempting_ to get patches
in upstream, so it seems a little unfair to characterise it as
'impossible to get things fixed upstream'. File bug reports, obviously
preferably with patches.

Mike