[gst-devel] Proposition for a media test suite

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Mon Nov 14 05:09:10 CET 2005

Hi Edward,
> Hi,
>
> On 11/14/05, Stefan Kost <ensonic at hora-obscura.de> wrote:
>
>>Hi Edward,
>>
>>Edward Hervey wrote:
>>
>>>Morning hackers,
>>>
>>>  Over the past day, and after being fed-up of fixing issues in some
>>>plugins to make a file play/seek correctly and see that it broke some
>>>other file instead, I came up with the plan for a simple media test
>>>suite for GStreamer.
>>>
>>>  I put most of the main lines on gnome live here :
>>>http://live.gnome.org/GStreamerMediaTest
>>>
>>>  This could be done quite quickly once we agree on what we want in
>>>that media test suite. The good points about such a test suite are :
>>>  _ See quickly what we support at any given point
>>>  _ Spot out (even more) problems with plugins
>>>  _ Have a system that unifies data to be put in bug reporting from users
>>>  _ Allow people to figure out where work is needed
>>>
>>>  Propositions and comments are more than welcome. IMHO this is a must
>>>have for a rock solid GStreamer 0.10
>>>

>>I agree totally! Some comments:
>>
>>* shoudn't it be done in check?
>

>   I wouldn't be inclined to do that :
>    * This testsuite might take a LOOOONG time
>    * it's not only related to one package, but the whole of GStreamer
> (core, plugins, python, ....)
>

>>** to avoid stumbling over stuff in the python layer
>>** check can do XML reporting (if you want it)
>

>   XML reporting in python is way easier than in C
erm, check his this build in already ;) Nothing to do, just one lie to activate.

>>* we probably need to merge the result as not every build can handle all formats
>

>   Another reason not to do it in check. We could have 'slaves' on
> different machines.
for the buildbot it won't make any diffenrence who produced the xml. @thomas:
have you found a way to copy files from buildslave to the buildmaster?

>>* of course crashes on unhandled media formats are bugs
>

>   Indeed, it should handle them gracefully.
>

>>* alsa has a dummy soundcard and then there is Xvfb, so we can run those test on
>>build-slaves too (maybe only on specific ones)
>

>   Good idea, but I think we can already get rid of a LOT of bugs just
> by using fakesinks.

oh right, they will eat anything. maybe using read sinks is better to test if
the media decoding elements set the right caps.

>>Stefan
>>

>   Keep the ideas coming in, I'll hack up something once there's enough
> ideas. Sometime around friday.
>
>    Edward
>
> --
> Edward Hervey