[gst-devel] Proposition for a media test suite

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 06:23:07 CET 2005

Hi

On 11/14/05, Tim Müller <t.i.m at zen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 13:21 +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't it be painful to have to write everything in C ?
>
> Why not just allow for tests in different languages? What I had in mind
> is a generic set of tests, and then a configuration file that specifies
> for each media file:
>
>  - local relative path / where to get it from (URL) / md5sum

   This would indeed be useful for people submitting buggy files URL.

>  - which tests should be run on it (besides standard tests that apply to
> all files)
>  - for each test: what the expected result is

  I'd prefer tests to be self-contained to start with. That is that
the rest returns TRUE or FALSE depending on whether it was able to
complete (apart from segfaults, hanging, etc... which are handled by
the test manager).
  My first goal (and if we manage this it should help us to get rid of
a LOT of bugs) is to get most media files to play correctly, be
seek-able, have correct timestamps on output, etc... All the expected
behaviours are known, whatever the file format.

> That way it shouldn't really matter if the test is in python or perl or
> C or whatever, as long as it is executable.
>
> Cheers
>  -Tim

  Edward

Edward Hervey