[gst-devel] Is it possible to use intltool-update for translation?

Alexander Shopov ash at contact.bg
Mon Nov 21 03:07:01 CET 2005

>>> Why are you doing this ?

Honestly - because I am used to intltool. It is a nice tool, works on
many Gnome programs, gets the job done. More about this below.

>>> Probably.  But again, why ? :)

The box I used to try and extract the strings was lacking autopoint, and
had no Internet connectivity. I am able now to extract the strings of
gstreamer with the build method.

> I must be missing something.  I send update notifications to the
> translation project, they extract pot files and put them online, and
> they have a whole infrastructure so that all translators need to do is
> translate the file.
>
> Why would a translator suddenly manually have to extract files ?

Well - it is not suddenly. I am both the committer of the Bulgarian
Gnome translation team, and the leader of the Bulgarian team of
Translation project.[1][2]

We would like to have a full Bulgarian translation of gtranslator before
the next release, *not* after that. The translation project has just a
single pot-file that gets obsoleted very soon.

Gstreamer is by no means a stable project - it has frequent releases,
changes in major API-s. I strongly doubt that anyone of the main
developers keeps the translatable strings stable in a way that Gnome
stable release does. This means - that the translators have to keep an
eye on the CVS.

Furthermore - getting just a po-file and just translating it is a vain
effort. The translators sometimes have to consult the source and decide
how to translate (and sometimes build the project - to test the
translation).

Using intltool instead of the build process would be nice, as it enables
upkeep of statistics - similar to those of Gnome [3]

As I said - we would like to have the next gstreamer release fully
translated in Bulgarian with the release, not 3 minor releases afterwards.

I would recommend intltool-izing gstreamer as it would pay later on, but
I do realize that there any other things that gstreamer developers need
to work on.

And lastly - the translation project robot is such a major PITA, that
frequently (>50% of the cases) we have to resend the translations over
and over again.

Best regards:
al_shopov

[1] http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/teams.html