[gst-devel] Notes on the 0.9 API

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 12:51:02 CET 2005

Hi,

On 11/21/05, Torsten Schoenfeld <kaffeetisch at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 23:04 +0100, Andy Wingo wrote:
>
> > > * There's no consistent word separation scheme.  Most of the API follows
> > > what seems to be the standard: separate words by "_".  But sometimes
> > > there's no separation at all, which looks pretty weird.
> >
> > We try hard to be consistent. Please let us know where we are not. Let
> > us know of functions with words that are together without "_".
>
> Here are the ones I spotted while going through the main headers
> (gnome/include/gstreamer-0.9/gst/*.h):
>
> gst_event_new_newsegment
> gst_event_parse_newsegment
> gst_event_new_buffersize
> gst_event_parse_buffersize
> gst_ghost_pad_new_notarget
> gst_pad_set_bufferalloc_function
> gst_pad_set_activatepull_function
> gst_pad_set_activatepush_function
> gst_pad_set_getrange_function
> gst_pad_set_checkgetrange_function
> gst_pad_set_getcaps_function
> gst_pad_set_acceptcaps_function
> gst_pad_set_fixatecaps_function
> gst_pad_set_setcaps_function
> gst_pad_proxy_getcaps
> gst_pad_proxy_setcaps

 My 2cents on the previous functions : The reason why some words are
attached (like newsegment or acceptcaps) is because they form an
'entity'. NewSegment is an event type, AcceptCaps is a pad
functionnality. The only case above where it doesn't make sense is for
gst_ghost_pad_new_notarget , where it could be renamed in no_target.

> All the nagging aside, I think you did a good job with the new API.
> It's already a lot saner than in 0.8.

 You're welcome :)

   Edward

> --