[gst-devel] Application authors: upcoming major-minor version bump

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Thu Nov 24 04:00:01 CET 2005

Hi all,

So 0.9.6 is out! If you haven't gotten the release announcement yet it
is coming soon. It was a very tough release to pull together at the end,
but I think I speak for all our hackers when I say that we're really
really pleased with it. Give it a try, there's only one more release
before 0.10.

With that in mind, be aware that the major/minor version of GStreamer
will be changing from 0.9 to 0.10 with the next release, 0.9.7, which is
the 0.10.0 prerelease. Header files will get installed to a
0.10-specific directory, the library name will change to
libgstreamer-0.10.so, etc. So, you have some build system updates to do.

The recommended way is to do it like this:

In your configure.ac or configure.in file,

GST_MAJORMINOR=0.9

PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GST, gstreamer-$GST_MAJORMINOR)
AC_SUBST(GST_LIBS)
AC_SUBST(GST_CFLAGS)

Then you just need to change 0.9 to 0.10 and you're ready to go. There
is a complication for libraries from gst-plugins-base, e.g.
gstinterfaces. In this case your configure.ac would have this instead of
the PKG_CHECK_MODULES line above:

PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GST,
  [gstreamer-$GST_MAJORMINOR gstreamer-plugins-base-$GST_MAJORMINOR])
GST_LIBS="$GST_LIBS -lgstinterfaces-$GST_MAJORMINOR"

Please ask if you have questions.

Cheers,
--
Andy Wingo