[gst-devel] new gsm/msgsm encoder/decoder

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Oct 6 12:30:43 CEST 2005

Hi,

>  * can gsm go into -good or does it have patent issues? I think this
> page covers all the patent issues well, don't know if it's gstreamer
> happy or not : http://kbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~jutta/toast.html

That page says:

Philips is claiming intellectual property on GSM 06.10. They haven't
contacted the authors of this library, but at least two large companies
that wanted to integrate GSM 06.10 codecs into their products have been
approached; one decided to pull their codec, another to pull just the
encoder and leave the decoder. (So, apparently, at least some lawyers
think the intellectual property applies only to one half of the
process.)

I don't know which parts of the patent are new, or whether it would hold
up in court, but of course nobody wants to go to court over an issue as
small as this.

Most distributions avoid shipping gsm.  So, it should go in -ugly.

> As for msgsm, it is a bastardized version of normal gsm that encodes 2
> gsm frames into 1 packet, removing the GSM magic (4 bits). Therefore
> removing those 4 bits for 2 frames gives one 65 byte frame instead of
> two 33 byte frames, therefore saving 1 byte per 2 frames. Also is moves
> the GSM header parameters around, here are the specs :
> http://www.opengroup.org/messaging/vpim/specs/drafts/draft-ema-vpim-msgsm-00.txt
>
> I don't know how I can figure out if that spec can go into -good or
> -ugly either? Any hints there?

It should be the same, since the algorithms are the same, you're just
framing differently.

Thomas

I used to play with toy guns and knives with my daddy
He never taught me how to kill