[gst-devel] new API for applications to check plugin requirements

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Wed Oct 12 13:35:51 CEST 2005

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 09:01:48AM +0100, Tim Müller wrote:
> but it's equally silly
> to copy'n'paste code like that between applications if it can just as
> well go into the core

"Otherwise I'll have to copy and paste code" has never been a good
reason for putting stuff into a library.  This leads to featuritis.

I'm not too opposed to a function sort of like:

  gboolean gst_registry_check_feature (GType feature_type,
      const char *feature_name, int min_major, int min_minor,
      int min_micro);

Presumably it would only handle x.y.z version numbers, which I don't
think is a tragic shortcoming.  I see very little need for anything
more complicated than this.

Note that plugins can appear/disappear after startup, so this doesn't
solve all problems.

dave...

--
David Schleef