[gst-devel] macro naming

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Thu Oct 13 00:39:16 CEST 2005

hi all,

yesterday I renamed some GST_FLAG macros to GST_OBJECT_FLAGS. WHile discussing
that on irc, we noticed that there are a lot more macros, which don't use that
class name as the second word.
Should we leave them as they are or should we try to rename them before the freeze.

Some examples (which could be documented while renaming ;))

GST_CALL_*
GST_EVDIR_*
GST_LIVE_*
GST_GET_LOCK, GST_LOCK, GST_UNLOCK
GST_PREROLL_*
GST_STATE_*
GST_STREAM_*

GST_IS_PAD_FAST -> GST_PAD_IS_FAST

pro renaming:
Its more obvious what kind of arg the macro takes (remmeber they don't do type
checking). A GST_LOCK(buffer) would be a bad idea, as GstBuffer is derived from
GstMiniObject and not GstObject.

contra renaming:
long names (on the other hand most editor can do a kind of tab-completion)

What do you think? I'll have problem to do all renamings anyway, as I'll be away
over the weekend. SO it needs a quick decission.

Stefan