[gst-devel] "playbin" does not output sound while playing avi video

Tim Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 02:47:29 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 17:03 +0800, Eric Qi wrote:

> I installed following gstreamer modules:
> gstreamer-0.9.2
> gstreamer-plugins-base-0.9.2
> gstreamer-plugins-good-0.9.1
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.9.1
> gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.9.3

If you're targetting 0.9/0.10, you should really work from CVS HEAD, or
at least install the latest released development version, which in this
case is 0.9.3 of all of the above modules (there is also a
gst-plugins-bad module, btw).

> I launched the following commands:
> "gst-launch playbin uri=file:///path/filename.avi", it
> popped up a window to show the video, but I could not
> hear any sound. the avi files do contain audio stream.
> the above command generated following information:

So what type of audio stream does the AVI contain? Is the file available
somehwere?

Try passing the -v flag to gst-launch for some more information.

  gst-launch-0.9 playbin uri=file:///path/foo.avi --gst-debug=avidemux:5
2>&1 | grep 'Added pad'

should also show what the media types in the AVI file are.

 Cheers
  -Tim