[gst-devel] questions about examples in plugin docs

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Sun Sep 11 03:04:16 CEST 2005

Hi everyone,

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-good-plugins/html/

On that page, both the "goom" and "level" element come with an example.
Goom comes with a sample -launch line; I think we all can agree that's a
good idea to have when it makes sense.

For some elements, that doesn't make sense.  Level for example is put in
a pipeline and generates messages.  While it is possible to see them
with gst-launch, it doesn't really explain you how to interpret the
messages you get.  In those cases, a sample application makes sense.
The docs for level have such an example.

On to the questions:

- does it make sense to put this example in the docs ? Is it not too
long ?
- Where should this example code be written ?
  - in the element's .c file as comments ?
  - in a separate .c file in the element's directory ?
  - in a separate .c file in some top-level examples/ ?
- What license should we slap on all of our example code ?

No matter where we would store the example code, I'd extract and build
it as part of make check just like our manual examples, to make sure the
examples stay current.

Let me know what you think,
Thomas

- I didn't say I wanted you out of my life.
It's just...with the ironing, the new mattress,
they all just seem like things that are a little further
down the line, that's all.
- Further down the line than all the sex we've been having?