[gst-devel] gstreamer on OS X w/ amarok

Brad brad at ithryn.net
Mon Sep 19 01:37:16 CEST 2005

Hi,

I have been trying to get gstreamer working with amarok on OS X. I haven't got
it to work yet. I'm sure gstreamer works on OS X, i have been able to play a
test tone and an audio file using gst-launcher like so,
  $ gst-launch-0.8 sinesrc ! adder ! audioconvert ! osxaudiosink

When i run amarok with GST_DEBUG=5 i get errors like so,
  (process:16105): GStreamer-CRITICAL **:  how to remove plugins?

  (process:16105): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: Factory for `id3demuxbin' has no
type. This probably means the plugin wasn't found because the registry is
broken. The plugin GStreamer was looking for is named 'mad' and is expected
in file '/sw/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstmad.so'. The registry for this plugin is
located at '/sw/var/cache/gstreamer-0.8/registry.xml'

(amarok crashes)

I have added debugging statements to some of the gstreamer code and get some
more, perhaps useful, messages that report missing symbols.

  (process:21556): GStreamer-WARNING **: trying to load plugin mad

  (process:21556): GStreamer-CRITICAL **:  --- how to remove plugins? ---

  (process:21556): GStreamer-WARNING **: could not load plugin mad: Error
amarokapp Undefined symbols:
/sw/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstmad.so undefined reference to
_gst_tag_from_id3_tag expected to be defined in a dynamic image
/sw/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstmad.so undefined reference to
_gst_tag_list_new_from_id

It looks like these symbols are in
  libgsttagedit.so: 00001ed4 T _gst_tag_from_id3_tag

I really don't know what to make of all of this. I pretty much know nothing
about gstreamer other than what i've stated above. i'm looking for any ideas
or any suggestions on how to fix this problem. i'm using gstreamer-0.8.11.

Please CC me on replies, i'm not on the list.
Thanks!
--Brad