[gst-devel] bluetooth audio plugins

Brad Midgley bmidgley at xmission.com
Tue Sep 20 14:13:09 CEST 2005

Hi

I have been working on bluetooth audio drivers with a few other
bluetooth developers (see http://bluetooth-alsa.sf.net). Now we need to
write them into general purpose drivers so applications like mp3 and
videoconference software can use them.

I've been reading in the faq and plugin docs. Do you guys think it would
be a good fit for me to write gstreamer plugins?

We want something that

  - runs entirely in userspace
  - allows multiple clients to write to the device simultaneously (using
adder plugin or an audio server?)
  - can be written to open the bluetooth connection on demand and close
after it's not being used
  - streams can be "split" such that eg writes go to the bluetooth
headset but reads come from another device like a hardwired mic
  - has at least a prayer of working on embedded systems :)

There are two kinds of headsets that we're working with:
  2-way, mono, voice-quality "headset/handsfree/sco"
  1-way, compressed, stereo "a2dp"

I have been researching alsa plugins, maybe combined with the dmix
plugin but their plugin api is underdocumented unfortunately. Gstreamer
at least has proven it can work with network plugins and bluetooth audio
is essentially networked streaming.

thanks guys
Brad