[gst-devel] GStreamer status, 20 Sept 2005

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Tue Sep 20 23:11:11 CEST 2005

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 04:44:52PM +0200, Andy Wingo wrote:
> In other changes, Stefan Kost checked in a patch to use GLib 2.8's
> atomic refcounting for GObject, which was something Wim pushed hard for
> in GLib's last development cycle. Of course, we still support the hacks
> that allow GStreamer to work reliably with GLib as old as 2.4, but you
> have to be careful when getting an object from GLib, as with
> g_value_get_object.

I don't see much advantage to having two possible code paths here.
There really isn't a speed advantage, and all referencing/unreffing
must still go through gst_object_[un]ref(), so there's no API
advantage.  It almost seems to me to be inviting someone to write
a sloppy gstreamer-based app that works with glib-2.8, but fails/leaks
on <= 2.6.

(On a related note, GstObject.refcount is currently exposed in
our ABI.  This might want to change.)

dave...

--
David Schleef