[gst-devel] core and GLib

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Apr 6 07:32:17 CEST 2006

Hi all,

we discussed this before, and my thoughts have changed on the matter and
I want to bring it up again.

We've had various reports from people switching between GLib 2.6 and 2.8
while upgrading, or people installing a 2.8 compiled version of GST on a
2.6 glib version, and more fun things.

While in theory I still feel we should have supported 2.6 correctly, in
practice we haven't, and we shouldn't lie to people pretending that we
do.

Therefore I propose that after the next core release, we require GLib
2.8 and remove the compatibility hacks through the stack.

What do you all think ?

Thomas