[gst-devel] Problems with ringbuffer management on systems with large audio buffers

Brian Cameron Brian.Cameron at Sun.COM
Fri Apr 14 14:40:10 CEST 2006

Thomas:

>> I'm forwarding the following comment from the
>> desktop-discuss at opensolaris.org alias regarding the fact that GStreamer
>> audio has a lag.  Because the sunaudiosink needs to set the ringbuffer
>> size to 512K,
>
> 512K is more than 3 seconds at 44.1 kHz 16 bit stereo.  What possible
> reason is there for sunaudiosink to need that much ?

That must simply be the size of the audio output buffer.  If I set it
to anything smaller, I hear stutters in the audio playback.

It doesn't seem that SunAudio interfaces allow you to set the audio
output buffer to anything smaller.

>> I guess I'm just surprised the GStreamer framework doesn't
>> support hardware (ok, kernel software) mixers/gain controls, though.
>
> It does - the sunaudiosink just needs to expose support for the mixer
> interface.
>
> Whether applications then use this is up to the application.

So, if I hack sunaudiosink to expose the mixer interface, then I can
make the sunaudiosink always modify the system volume even when a
user changes it in an appliction?  Is that how it would work?  Do
you know if there is an example of this in GStreamer I could base
the code from?  Also do you know if rhythmbox and totem support
this?

Thanks!

Brian