[gst-devel] GStreamer in GNOME 2.16

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Apr 28 08:51:05 CEST 2006

Hi,

> Our Illustrious Release Manager is currently travelling back from FISL,
> so I'll give a quick outline here, and let him follow up with more
> details when he has some time.

Back.

I think Mike summed up pretty much.
The only change which we're doing is to rely on at least 2.8 of GLib
exclusively.  Our hacks for supporting 2.6 just don't go far enough in
fixing the threading problems we're working around that are in GLib 2.6.

Of course this doesn't cause any trouble for the next GNOME release.

Other than that, we're only adding to our API, as usual in a stable
series of GStreamer, and we're taking a lot of care ensuring no
regressions exist in the releases (though of course it helps if other
people test our prereleases).

The only thing GNOME may see is gradual migration of a few plug-ins from
-bad to -good, which can only be a good thing.

Speaking personally, I don't expect development on 0.11 to start very
soon, hence I wouldn't worry about us suddenly breaking ABI again and
jumping to 0.12.

So in a nutshell, GNOME + GStreamer = Love.

Happy Hacking,
Thomas