[gst-devel] gtk and threads

alberto colombo albx79 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 16:01:08 CEST 2006

hello

I'm using gstreamer for a small video analysis application written in
gtk. I am trying to update the GUI with some information about the
current frame of the video (i.e., the position of a tracked
target, ...).

To make it simpler, suppose I have a frame-counter plugin and that I
want to show the current frame number in a GtkLabel. I can think of two
ways of doing it:

        1) have the frame-counter emit a custom signal with the current
        frame number, catch the signal from the application and update
        the label, or

        2) have a GtkLabel property in the plugin, and update if from
        within the plugin on the _chain function.

Alas, none of the above work. When the pipeline is playing, the
interface is frozen and does not repaint until the pipeline is paused. I
tryed to queue_redraw() it, the I tryed with gtk_main_iteration(), then
g_main_context_iteration(): they only make things worse (deadlocks).

What can I do? What am I doing wrong?

thank you very much
alberto
--