[gst-devel] JACK and GStreamer, from the horse's mouth

Lennart Poettering mztfg at 0pointer.de
Fri Dec 1 17:56:57 CET 2006

On Thu, 30.11.06 01:03, Kai Vehmanen (kvehmanen at eca.cx) wrote:

> PS Still one last note, my ++votes go to standarding on ALSA as the base,
>    and having multiple "middlewares" like gstreamer, pulseaudio and
>    JACK on top of it. What's really hurting us is the OSS kernel
>    API which, which doesn't provide ALSA style hooks for plugging in
>    virtual devices.

Sounds very reasonable to me. Though I wouldn't want to standardize
on PA. Not as an API, not right now.

The combination of the ALSA API, the Gstreamer API and the JACK API
appears very reasonable to me. Although they are very different ins
style, and somewhat redundant, they are just the three most widely
accepted APIs available, have different features, and are somewhat
future-proof.

I prefer standardizing on what we have, and not on some grand future
thing that might eventually come when someone really finds the time to
develop it. Maybe some future new API could eventually abstract ALSA
and JACK a little bit and a cross-platform and a few other things. But
that shouldn't hinder anyone to standardize on ALSA and JACK for now.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering; 0poetter [at] informatik [dot] uni-hamburg [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x83E23BF0; http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/lennart/