[gst-devel] gstreamer application developer and plugin writer manuals

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Feb 2 02:31:05 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 13:12 +0100, Stefan Kost wrote:
> First goal 1 is to prepare a list on
> http://live.gnome.org/GStreamerDocsTriage
> for these manuals, conatinig the section in doubt.

(With the knowledge of your following mail)
I would advise that you first outline your plan so that we can get
people behind it.  Implementing step 1 of your plan straight away is
going to make you bitter (see your mail)

I'm sure people are interested in this, but sadly you will need to poke
people on IRC regularly as you update, wiki's are not easy to follow all
the time if it's not your number 1 priority.

> Second I like to do something about the duplication in the introduction.
> I like both documents to start with chapter like this:
> I Introduction
>    1 Who should read this document?
>    2 Preliminary reading
>    3 Structure of this document
> II GStreamer concepts
>    GStreamer (will contain 'Motivation & Goals' from the manual)
>    Elements
>    Bins and pipelines
>    Pads and Caps
>    Buffers
>    Events
>    Metadata (Tags)
>    ... (probably more to add)

Great idea.

Does that mean you copy the exact same content in both manuals ? Or do
you refer from both manuals to an introduction guide ?

Historically crosslinking between manuals has not been easy, though it
could still be done.

Thomas

if you ever lay a finger on my left side
if you ever lay a finger on me I will open