[gst-devel] tar[dec,enc]

Lutz Müller lutz at topfrose.de
Sun Feb 19 11:27:02 CET 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 18:21 +0000, Luca Ognibene wrote:
> > (1) I need to know the file size that is going to be written to a tar
> > archive upfront. But the oggmux element doesn't know the file size
> > upfront. Therefore, I am writing the buffers to a temporary file and
> > only pass the data along if the whole track has been received. That's no
> > elegant solution. Can you think of a better one?
>
> Is this info only stored in header? Do you know the offset in the file
> of this info? If you know this you can send the whole file setting a
> unspecified length and at eos you can send a seek event and a new header
> buffer with correct informations (avimux should work like this).

I thought about that, too, but then the pipeline doesn't work if there
is any element after tarenc that doesn't support seeking, i.e.
bz2enc :-(

I was wondering if I should write an extra element (or enhance GstPad?)
that buffers lots of data automatically if elements before it advertise
somehow their need to seek and elements after do not support seeking...

Regards
--
Lutz Müller <lutz at topfrose.de>