[gst-devel] Use of GstElementFactory::klass property

Wim Taymans wim at fluendo.com
Tue Feb 28 09:27:01 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 17:38 +0100, Stefan Kost wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Wim Taymans wrote:
> >

> > Without looking at previous discussions I just checked in
> > docs/design/draft-klass.txt
> >
> > Wim
> >
>  > 2) keyword categories
>  >
>  >    - functional
>  >      * Debug         : tee, identity, fakesrc, navseek, ...
> I see elements like 'tee' and 'adder' as sort of link-adapter (connector)

Adder is clearly a mixer, which is a superclass of a connector.

Can't really categorize tee... Updating doc with Connector for tee, it
does not really matter, I can't think of a use case where an application
wants to filter the registry for elements with tee-like behaviour.
Connector is a fine name though for this type of element.

> >  4) examples:
> > adder            : Effect/Muxer/Audio
> adder is not muxing, it is mixing, muxing interleaves. thus the old aggregator
> would be a muxer.
Mixer added as functional keyword, muxing is reversable with a demuxer,
mixing is not.

> > level            : Filter/Analyzer/Audio
> level does not really transform data, it only analyzes.

That's why it is not an effect. Intended behaviour of level is to
analyse the data, since level is not even able to handle different caps
on src and sinkpads, the Filter keyword can be removed.

Updated the doc in CVS with suggestions.

Wim

Wim Taymans <wim at fluendo.com>