[gst-devel] Playing a queue and tags

Tim Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 11:20:03 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 10:40 -0600, yohann (yrc) coppel wrote:

Hi,

> I'm writing (another ;-) ) player with gstreamer

Great :)

> and I have two questions/problems.... (snip)

It looks like you're using GStreamer-0.8. You should really consider
using GStreamer-0.10 instead, which is our current stable series and was
released in December. Things are much easier with 0.10 in many respects.
Admittedly not all of our docs have entirely caught up to 0.10 yet, but
if you're running into problems you can always drop by #gstreamer on
irc.freenode.org and get help there.

If you must use 0.8, I'd recommend you use decodebin instead of spider
(same for 0.10). The filtered caps might need to be both audio/x-raw-int
and audio/x-raw-float (as the vorbis decoder, for example, outputs audio
in float format), but my memory of 0.8 is a bit hazy, so I'm not sure if
that's really required. For playback you should probably use the playbin
element which should take care of most things for you, unless you want
advanced/nifty features like cross-fading or so.

 Cheers
  -Tim