[gst-devel] iec958 plugin in ugly

Jeroen Zwartepoorte jeroen at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 28 03:44:07 CET 2006

Hi,

So i'm trying to test some SPDIF on my desktop machine (has an external
DTS/AC3 decoder). It runs rawhide. But that doesn't has the ac3iec958
plugin. I see that it's in gst-plugins-ugly. What's the reason for this?
Is the code just ugly/badly maintained?

Afaik, the ac3iec958 shouldn't be hindered by patents since it doesn't
actually decode any ac3? (that's what the external decoder is for).

It'd be nice if this could be part of gst-plugins-good so it comes
out-of-the-box with distros and (eventually) select the "AC3 Passthrough"
preference in totem would actually do what it's supposed to do.

Regards,

Jeroen