[gst-devel] vorbisenc speed

Fridtjof Busse fbusse at gmx.de
Tue Jul 11 14:44:02 CEST 2006

* Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org>:
> On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 21:57 +0200, Fridtjof Busse wrote:
> > Hi
> > I hope this is not the wrong list to ask this:
> > If just started using gstreamer for playback and noticed that there
> > is a plugin for vorbis-encoding as well. It works very nice, in
> > fact, it works better than I expected: It's at least twice (if not
> > more) as fast as oggenc from vorbis-tools.
>
> How do you measure it being twice as fast ? Are you looking at CPU
> usage in top, measuring with your stopwatch, using "time", ... ?

Well, with oggenc I used 'time', with sound-juicer I simply looked at my
watch and checked, when the complete file was written to disk (using
'time' is diffcult as sound-juicer comes with a complete GUI).
Obviously, I'm not the only one who noticed this huge speed-difference
(see Stefans posting).

--
Fridtjof Busse