[gst-devel] "pads have wrong hierarchy"

Wim Taymans wim at fluendo.com
Wed Jul 26 12:55:57 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 10:25 +0200, SP GLE wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to connect two pipelines with a queue, the
> first one contains a bin for playing files, the second
> one contains a videomixer and a videosink.

> The link of the two pipelines throught the queue fails
> with the following trace :
>
> INFO  (0x81b1d50 - 0:00:02.916064000)
> GST_PADS(14414) gstpad.c(1742):gst_pad_link_prepare:
> pads have wrong hierarchy

You should create a ghostpad on the two pipelines so that they look like
normal elements. You can then link them together. The reason is that a
pad from an element inside a bin is not visible outside of the bin and
you can thus not link it with elements outside of the bin. Ghosting the
pad will make it visible and linkable

Note that linking two pipelines is perfectly possible but might not be
what you want, you'll end up with 2 independent busses, 2 independent
clocks,... Putting 2 bins in one pipeline, as Edward suggested, might be
more what you want perhaps.

Wim

Wim Taymans <wim at fluendo.com>