[gst-devel] output x session to multiple files

Shlomi Israel sijproject at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 13:36:40 CEST 2006

Hi,

I really hope this is the right place to ask.

I know I can record the screen to a theora video, and as I understand
to any other format gstreamer supports. What I need is to capture the
screen and save each session in a different file as a PNG or Jpeg.

technically, what I looked for is a smart way to capture the screen. I
saw ximagesrc uses XDamage if it's available, which is exactly what I
am looking for. I read a similar thread, that suggested using a loop,
but as much as I understand it will not be as efficient as I want, I
want it to capture the screen only when it is needed (using XDamage)
but instead saving it as a video, I want it to be saved as multiple
image files.

I read it is possible using gstreamer 0.8 using multifilesink and pngenc.
but on gstreamer 0.10 multifilesink doesn't work, and pngenc has no
`newmedia` property

I tried the following:
gst-launch-0.10 ximagesrc ! ffmpegcolorspace ! theoraenc ! oggmux !
filesink location=target.ogg
and then:
gst-launch-0.8 filesrc location=target.ogg ! oggdemux ! theoradec !
ffmpegcolorspace ! pngenc snapshot=false newmedia=true ! multifilesink
location=image%02d.png

Which seems to work well (though the images were too orange).
This method has too many problems: I use both 0.8 and 0.10 (I need
multifilesink and newmedia=true), I encode to theora and it probably
reduces the efficiency and last but not least, the quality of the PNGs
is very low :(.

Any idea on how to implement this in a smarter way?

Thanks in advanced,
Shlomi

--
http://sijp.no-ip.info