[gst-devel] [gst-cvs] ensonic gst-plugins-base: gst-plugins-base/ gst-plugins-base/gst/adder/ gst-plugins-base/gst/volume/ gst-plugins-base/tests/check/ gst-plugins-base/tests/check/elements/ gst-plugins-base/tests/check/generic/

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Jun 1 14:06:24 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 00:56 +0300, Stefan Kost wrote:
> hi thomas,
>
> do you really this I do this intentional, to tease you to see if someone
> discovers it?

Of course not, that's exactly why I sent the mail ! This is the fourth
time in recent weeks that you've done a really big commit, and a small
change made its way in as well, undetected by you.  Other people reading
the CVS commits list have already pointed this out to you in the past,
asking you to be more careful.

>  Dispite my long work day I try to continue to work on gst.
> And Iam concerned abozt quality. I try to write tests & docs. I watch
> the buildbot and try to fix it, of course I am not perfect and make
> mistakes.

We all have long work days and we all work on gst after hours.  I am
happy you are commited to quality, but I expect your commitment to
quality to be extended to reviewing your diffs before you commit.

I'm not sure if you commited the test change accidentally or intended to
commit it, possibly separately, since you didn't comment on that; the
second part of my mail was annoyed at the fact that you think this is a
good way to fix the test and ensure quality.  Maybe you don't, and this
was an accidental commit, in which case I apologize.

> Lets try to keep a friendly athmosphere. I've just went over 300 files
> and fixed more broken gobject macros. I am not going to ask everyone in
> public why the copied these macos without thinking if there are right or
> wrong, or how it can be that new plugins are accespted in -good and
> still have such broken macros in there.
>
> I am fine if you e.g. point me to mistakes I made on irc or mlist, but
> lowercase letters and a friendly tone will do.

So I think it's warranted to be a little more stern and make it clear
that you really need to stop doing this, because it's not the first
time.  You should understand that I have to deal with people grumbling
about wasting time looking for a bug that ends up having been introduced
by one of your megacommits.  Try to see it from their point of view.

I do not mean to insult or disrespect you - I simply wish for you to
understand that you've made this particular kind of mistake a few times
in the past and that you should do your best not to make it again.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas