[gst-devel] Newby needs help debugging gstreamer

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Sat Jun 10 21:44:56 CEST 2006

I'm running the latest gstreamer on the Fedora Core 5 distro, running on
an AMD x86-64 system.  I've had occasional trouble with Gstreamer and/or
amarok.  Sometimes amarok, my main audio app, which I'm running with the
gstreamer engine, refuses to deal with some files.  Right now amarok
won't play mpc or ape files; it simply refuses to deal with them.

How can I tell what gstreamer is attempting to do with a particular
file?  Something like "$ gst-launch mello.mp3" (which is wrong) should
do the job, attempting to get the type of the file mello.mp3 and
emitting an error at the place where gstreamer fails.  What is the right
way to do this?

Thanks - jon