[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] burger gst-plugins-good: gst-plugins-good/ gst-plugins-good/gst/rtp/

Edgard Lima edgard.lima at indt.org.br
Wed Mar 8 09:55:05 CET 2006

Wim,

I think it cant be done 'cause caps are different.

Whats the problem and why burguer did it:

The problem is 'cause g711(de)pay can have two possible sink caps
(x-alaw or x-ulaw) and two src caps (encoding-name: PCMA or PCMU),
this way a program like tapioca-voip that tries to automatically look
for instaled plugins and its capabilities in order to create a SDP
description is unable to do it. See example bellow:

tapioca found alawenc and g711pay so tapioca knows it can send the rtp
format generated by g711pay, the problem is: in that case tapioca doesnt
have ways to know if it is PCMA or PCMU.

I  like the andrunko proposal: add simple mechanism that allows to know
which src caps it will use for a given sink caps.
It only adds a new field to each source caps like "mimetype" as bellow
(that filed must ignored when building the SDP description)

Pad Templates:
 SINK template: 'sink'
   Capabilities:
     audio/x-mulaw
     audio/x-alaw

 SRC template: 'src'
   Capabilities:
     application/x-rtp
         encoding-name: PCMU
         mimetype: audio/x-mulaw
     application/x-rtp
         encoding-name: PCMA
         mimetype: audio/x-alaw

Take a look at this
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=9701229&forum_id=5947
for a detailed description of the problem.

What do you think?

[]s
Edgard - alima
edgard.lima at indt.org.br