[gst-devel] How to properly handle a disconnected (abruptly ended) input video stream?

Ola Theander ola.theander at otsystem.com
Sun Mar 12 07:03:02 CET 2006

Dear subscribers

I'm working on an application where I input a video stream basically in real
time. Slightly simplified I have a composite video camera connected to
device which converts the composite video to a digital video (DV) signal
exactly like the signal you get from a digital camcorder. This external
device is connected to the computer via the Firewire (IEEE 1394) port where
I read the data and store it on the hard disk. Basically I have a pipe
similar to:

dv1394src ! filesink

The problem is that sometimes the application's user disconnects the
composite video cable without properly turn of the recoding in my
application. This means that the video data stream is abruptly ended and the
application hangs. My question is, how do I properly handle this kind of
thing? Can GStreamer properly handle this? It seems like the pipe just
freeze when this happens and doesn't recover until the application is killed
and restarted.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Ola Theander