[gst-devel] Gstreamer and OpenMAX Integration Layer

dmelpi at tele2.it dmelpi at tele2.it
Tue Mar 14 07:26:04 CET 2006

Hi there,
I would like to get in touch with the GStreamer developers
concerning a new standard interface for multimedia
components, named OpenMAX Integration Layer.
This standard has been specified by Khronos and can be
found at
http://www.khronos.org/openmax
Basically, this API is intended to provide multimedia
frameworks standardized access to multimedia components,
included HW accelerated ones. It is royalty-free and OS
independent, meaning that other multimedia frameworks
could be using it in the near future.
There is an opensource project with an initial
implementation of this API available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/omxil
I have been working on a set of GStreamer plugins that use
this API and they will soon be available on that site too.
For the time being, I would like to know your thoughts
about this new API and, in particular, if you feel it
could be a valuable addition to GStreamer. Let me only say
that OpenMAX IL is backed by a large consortium that
includes silicon manufacturers and major terminal
manufacturers. It could be a step towards open multimedia
platforms and my opinion is that GStreamer could play a
role there.
I am preparing a white paper that describes how OpenMAX IL
could be used in GStreamer: please let me know if you
would like to review this document.

Thanks and have a great day

Diego Melpignano

PS.
Since I am new to the list, I apologize in advance if this
topic has already been discussed - but I could not find
anything in the mail archives.